Monday 13 February 2012

Small Towns

The older I get the more I remember times from when I was younger and I then start to reflect on decisions that have changed my life and the path that I am on.  Going back to the small town that I grew up in, seeing people whom I haven't seen in years, wondering what it would be like to have actually stayed in Acton (where I grew up) ALL my life ;)

I chose to move away from home, close enough to visit, but far enough away for some space. I am still not sure why I felt I had to move away.  I now live in a small town, I love it.  Knowing most people when you walk through the grocery store, beer store or when you are just walking down the main street. It is an experience unique to small towns.

This brings me to why I am writing this blog this week.  I've had this song by John Mellencamp stuck in my head the last 24 hrs....  here are some of the lyrics :)

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and that's good enough for me

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Don't knock a small town, that is where day to day living amongst your neighbors you will learn what life IS all about. Here is a photo of the Caledonia Bridge, it is the ONLY 9 span bridge in all of Canada, and it is in the middle of my small town. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment