Sunday 18 December 2011

My Year

My year

As many of you know this past year was a particularly hard one for me and my family.  With spending as much time with my Dad as possible, going to every chemo treatment and sitting with him for hours while they pumped chemicals into him to try to save him. Going to every doctor’s appointment to support him and my Mom, and writing down everything so I could try to help as much as possible, be it to pass along the information to my sisters and brother, or to just help my parents understand what was happening and what  the next steps were going to be. I did learn a lot of things from my Dad I wouldn’t have. I heard lots of great stories about his life as we sat there in the hospital. He was an amazing person who experienced so much more than the average person ever will. It was a tough “character building” year that did not end the way I had hoped. Sad, tough, like no sadness I have ever felt before. I can still say I feel it has truly made me a better person.
I think I am writing this because at this time of year we start to see many old friends whom we may not have seen as often as we would have liked throughout the year due to life just getting in the way.  I feel so very lucky and so very blessed when I look around at my friends and family and know that no matter what, they will always be there. 
This brings me to a point I’d like to make. As I have “aged” I realize a few things I wish I would have when I was younger.  One, if a friend does not make you feel like you are a good person they are not a good friend.  Surround yourself with people who make you happy, who are good people themselves. Two, you should never feel guilty letting a friendship drop because they do not make you feel good.  Happiness is truly THE most important thing in your life.  If you need to go on a trip to make yourself happy, DO IT!  If you need to have more time to yourself, if you need to read a good book, DO IT!  Life is truly too short and we sometimes wait too long to do the things we’ve always wanted to do.  Time runs out.  Live your life with no regrets and surround yourself with great supportive people who will always be your friend regardless of what time and separation may do.
This year was hard and I have truly felt a great loss in my life. My world will never be the same. Although, I still can count myself as one of the luckiest people I know, life has to be hard, so we can enjoy the good!
 Dad……….. I really miss you!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment