Sunday 13 May 2012

Mother's Day


So it's Mother's Day......

I have had two "children" wish me "Happy Mother's Day" already...  please note, these were not my own children.  One was my niece whom I spent most of the day driving around in a car with yesterday.  And the other was my "tri-daughter".  She is a great kid!!! :)

Where you ask, are my own children? Why no breakfast in bed? Well, my son has moved out.... if he actually remembers in his joy of "freedom at last" that I was his Mother....  it will be a Miracle!!!

My daughter who worked until 2am.... is probably expecting "Breakfast in Bed".......

This is how things change, when your kids are no longer small and cute.....  no cards anymore...  no breakfast... a tea would have been nice but.... she.... is still asleep.

Sometimes a girl gets really lucky and her husband actually will do something nice for her even though she is not his Mother..... mine on the other hand has gone away for the week with his Brother no less....  golfing...  (he did call and ask if he should have flowers delivered to his Mom....)

I recall years of not really caring about Birthdays and Anniversaries.... years of Valentines Days without feeling the need to go out.  How did this all change? It must be an age thing?!?!?!?

 Yes, on my birthday it would be nice to have a cake and have someone sing "Happy Birthday" to me.....  even if it is just my Husband.  I was down in my basement yesterday looking for boxes.  (While my husband is away we sold our cottage and had 7 days to empty it... 5 of those he is away and so I am emptying out the cottage with my son, daughter, and my 68 yr old Mom)  back to my story...

I found a small white cake box.

On it was written,      To Francie:  "Happy Birthday"

This is NO ordinary Cake Box.

On my birthday 2 yrs ago my day started quite normally, everyone was out and I was cleaning the house.  As I was vacuuming I saw out of the corner of my eye a rather large figure outside my kitchen French Doors..... I was startled at first but then realized it was my Dad.

He was all decked out in his motorcycle gear.  He had ridden all the way from Acton to bring me a Birthday Cake in this little white cake box on the back of his motorcycle. Literally strapped on with bungies!!!  That visual, is something I WILL NEVER FORGET!

I guess the "moral of my story" is;  It isn't always important to do something BIG in order to make someone feel special.... sometimes it is the small things like... just remembering their birthday or saying "Happy Mother's Day" to them.

I certainly hope everyone reading this has a Wonderful Mother's Day....

on that note, I have a photo to share.  This week was my daughter's 3 Month Anniversary and she wanted pictures done with her boyfriend.  Here is my favourite photo:




No comments:

Post a Comment